Thursday, August 7, 2008

Goodbye to a Dear Friend

Hi all-

It's been a while since my last post and that is mostly a good thing. It means we have met some new friends and I have been cultivating these new relationships. Aedan had his first-ever sleepover party (with new Cairo buddy). Joe had lunch with a friend from work. Virginia and I are cruising out and about with her Sudanese baby doll and doll stroller! We have also taken a 1 night "stay-cation" (like vacation, only you stay where you are) to a wonderful 5 star resort in Cairo (complete with 4 swimming pools and a wonderfully soft bed!).

Aedan starts kindergarten next week and Joe will be getting back to work very soon. Virginia will be starting a 3 day a week french immersion preschool in 2 weeks and I start Arabic as soon as I get them all settled. Vacation is almost over for the S-Rs and it is time to get to business! :)

With all of this excitement, Joe and I have carried a deep burden in our hearts. Many of you know that a classmate and good friend of Aedan's died this summer. We did not tell Aedan at the time because we felt that the timing was wrong with our travel and transition. We finally realized that there is never a good time to tell a 5 year that another kid died....there are simply less awful times. Honestly, time has given me no perspective on this. The memory of her and the things she would say or do still makes me sob....not cry...sob. Joe and I didn't necessarily pick this week to tell Aedan but the teachable moment just sort of happened. I told him. Nothing. I cried...he asked a few questions. He went to his room and cried. He cried on and off. I don't know if he knew what he was crying about except that I was crying. I asked him several times if he understood. He said he did but I just feel like he went blank. It was weird for him...I never would have expected that. It was a hard week but I feel selfishly relieved that I told him and that I wasn't hiding it from him anymore.

That said, we have taken a deep breath and are moving forward....just as I know she would have wanted. It's the only thing we can do, really.

Egypt still continues to be kind to us. We are already planning some local travel for Ramadan (cheap rates!) and are finding new ways to laugh at ourselves each day. For example, Joe speaking spanish when he thinks he is speaking arabic. Or...Joe trying to convince Virginia to try pate with "Virginia, would you like to try pate?'" to which Virginia replies "No thank you...dad, would you like to try butter?". Oh....the comedy and drama of each new day.

Lots of love!

-Ashley
PS New 2 story apt with a yard in the AUC building just opened up. Keep your fingers crossed for us. Maybe we can move?

No comments: