Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Image of the week


Hi all-

We are all having a great week! We went to the Red Sea last weekend...it was really awesome to be there. The Red Sea is clear like the Carribean with a stunning backdrop of red mountains in the distance. We visited a famous beach called Ain Soulkna near the Suez Canal and about 1 1/2 hrs from Cairo. For El Eid (end of Ramandan-week off) we will visit the famous corral reefs of Dahab/Sharm El-Sheik. Although we didn't see the plethora of fish that we expect to see in a few weeks, Aedan found a live sand dollar and Virginia found a live starfish. The water was totally clear and very shallow. We walked the eqivalent to the end of the pier and Joe and I could still stand up in the water! Water was also very warm on top but quite cold about 2 ft down. It was strange because you would think that the clear water would keep a more consistent heat but now I understand why snorkelers here sometimes wear a wetsuit...even in the summer.

The S-R family is getting settled. Aedan is doing great in school and as he proudly reports, has a girlfriend (friend who is a girl...at least in his mind) who is not (again, as he reports) "kissy-ga-ga". No one outside of kindergarten knows what this means but apparently this is a big deal in kindergarten world. Virginia is liking her new, English-speaking preschool. She is learning a bit of arabic. They have lessons every day during circle time. Joe has started teaching and loves it. He is proud to report that he has a balcony off his office. In Egypt, what you have reflects your relative status (sad but true). Students are a bit in awe of him (because of the balcony?) and it is a refreshing surprise from the cooled attitude from US college students. I have taken up arabic full-time and am making great strides...I can now reliably get bread, milk, and cheese from the market....and I can say thank you without offending anyone. Really, that is saying something. Arabic is totally different from English...different alphabet, different syntax, etc. In some ways, this actually makes it easier. However, I am in an arabic class of 12, taught in English, wherein I am the only native english speaker (lots of asians and europeans). The teacher was reviewing arabic vowels and she made the long "e" sound...giving the example like "eeee" in "beeeeg"...eg I am going to have a "beeeeeg" hotdog (big hot dog). So, you can say that I am learning european english to learn arabic (pronounced "ah-RAY-bick").

Anyway, we are finding some humor in being the only american around. Everyone wants to talk about Dallas (yes, the TV show). I don't know if it is showing again or what but supposedly I am to know "who shot JR?". I haven't the heart to tell them that I wasn't even cognizant when that show came on in the US...maybe alive but certainly not watching it. I seem to remember my mom sending me away when someone wanted to talk about it one time. Anyway, I get these questions about the show all the time which is totally bizzare and when I walked into the non-alcohol-serving "bar" this weekend, the piano player started playing "American songs" like "we are the world", "new york new york...just want to be a part of it!", and yes, something from the "hit show" (his words...not mine) Dallas. To be sure, Virginia and I appeased the crowd flashing the peace sign and with a short version of the can-can....I promptly left for the Dallas song. Maybe Egyptians will get the hint. :)

Anywhoo....I wanted to post this image as the "image of the week". So often, I want to show you the "real Cairo"...not the gentrified american part where I live, but not the trash eating children like you see Suzanne-what's-her-name hugging on TV. This picture captures what I think of as the pride of the typical Egyptian. His name is Ahmed and he cleans houses by day and runs this felucca by night. He doesn't have many teeth left but has a beautiful smile when he gets to show off Cairo. He loves it when foreigners try to speak arabic (such as I can) and he goes for a swim in the Nile when his boss isn't looking. I will try to compile more pictures of the real people and real sights of Cairo and post as I can....

Lots of love from the Middle East-
-ashley

No comments: